Australian eggs BenedictPrint this recipe
- Cooking time: 11 mins.
- Serves: 1
- 2 large British Lion egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon tarragon or white wine vinegar
- a pinch of sea salt
- a splash of ice cold water
- 125g unsalted butter, ice cold and cut into cubes
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- cayenne pepper
- 2 large British Lion eggs (Gizzi uses free range)
- 1 English muffin, halved
- 2 slices of good quality carved smoked ham from a deli or deli counter (from the bone)
- 1 large vine tomato cut into 4 width ways
- ½ avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
Australian eggs Benedict - toasted English muffins with avocado, tomato, ham and poached eggs with cheat’s hollandaise (sauce serves 4)
Put two egg yolks (Gizzi uses free range), ½ teaspoon of tarragon or white wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and a splash of ice-cold water in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan. Whisk for a few minutes then put the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk continuously until pale and thick (about 3-5 minutes).
Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the cubes of butter, bit by bit until it's all incorporated and you have a creamy hollandaise (if it gets too thick, add a splash of water). Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little cayenne pepper. Keep warm until needed.
Bring a pan of salted water to the boil then poach two eggs for 3 minutes so the yolks are still soft. Lift each one out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
To make eggs Benedict, toast 2 muffin halves, top each with a slice of ham, a slice of tomato, a few slices of avocado a poached egg and spoon over a generous helping of hollandaise.
I always look for the Lion on eggs to guarantee the highest standards of food safety. All Lion eggs come from British hens vaccinated against salmonella and are date-stamped for freshness.
Click here for a video guide of this recipe.
- Chinese fried eggs
- Indian scrambled eggs
- Smoked salmon and Boursin omelette
- Boiled egg and asparagus spears
- Turkish eggs with Turkish toasts
- Marmalade and Cointreau soufflé omelette
- Old school frisée
- ‘Cheat’s’ Croque Madame
- Keralan egg curry
- Huevos rancheros
- Australian eggs Benedict
- Healthy egg, ham and chips