How to make an omelette
Healthy, quick and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, omelettes are one of the most popular and versatile dishes out there. With just a couple of eggs and a pinch of salt you can whip up a tasty meal in minutes, adding your own personal flair with a whole range of filling ingredients.
The best part is anyone can make them! Whether you’re a professional chef or a kitchen beginner, creating nutritious and delicious omelette dishes really is no effort and you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time at all.
So, how do you make the perfect omelette? We have you covered! Simply follow the simple steps below to create a fluffy and light basic omelette, and once you’ve mastered that, try out one of our amazing recipes or experiment with your own creations.
Nutritional analysis per portion: Energy: 183kcals; Protein: 15g; Total Fat: 13.8g; Saturated Fat: 3.4g; Salt: 0.6g.
For more tips on making omelettes, check out our how-to video.
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cold water
- Dash of oil
Seven simple steps to omelette perfection!
- Take your eggs and crack them into a bowl – don’t put them directly into the pan as you need to mix them first!
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper before whisking with a fork until the white and the yolk are fully blended.
- Bring your pan to a high heat and add oil so that the mixture doesn’t stick.
- Pour in your mixture and cook on a high heat for two minutes, making sure that mixture is spread out evenly.
- As the egg begins to set, use a spatula to push the set egg towards the omelette centre.
- Cook the set omelette for another minute, then loosen the edges with a spatula and fold the omelette in half.
- Tilt the pan and slide the omelette onto a warm plate and serve immediately on its own or with a crisp green salad.
Ideas for fillings!
· Your favourite cheese.
· Pre-cooked meats such as Parma ham or chorizo.
· Vegetables – For example, onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomato, fresh herbs.
· Seafood such as prawns, smoked salmon.
And there you have it; the perfect omelette! Once you master the technique, check out our other great omelette recipes and discover a range of varied and exciting meal ideas.