- 10 large British Lion eggs, hard boiled
- 750ml (1 1⁄2 pints) vinegar
- 25g (1oz) pickling spice
- 1 blade of mace
- Simmer vinegar and spices together for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Shell the eggs and pack them into screw top jars.
- Strain cooked vinegar onto the eggs to cover completely.
- Cover jar tightly and store for 4 weeks or longer before use.
- Pickled eggs can be served with bread and cheese as a snack or to add variety to a hors d’oeuvre selection.
Spice up your pickle with 25g of pickling spice, dried or fresh chillies or a small piece of bruised root ginger.
The gallon jars in which sauces are sold are useful containers in which to pickle eggs.