How to make the perfect Omelette
Omelettes are one of the most popular ways to prepare eggs, and even though they’re easy to make, they are a little more challenging to master! For some of us, attempts at creating a flawlessly shaped, fluffy omelette just ends up turning into a scramble. So how can you make the perfect omelette? Read on….
- Eggs (2 or 3 depending on your appetite)
- Crack the eggs into a bowl – this is better than putting them directly on the pan as you will be pressed for time (approx. 20 seconds) to make sure they’re mixed properly
- Add a pinch of salt
- Whisk thoroughly with a fork – until the white and yolk are completely blended!
- Heat the frying pan
- Add enough butter to coat the surface of the pan
- When the butter is bubbling add the egg mixture
- Spread the egg out evenly (do this by tilting the pan gently to all sides)
- Once the egg begins to firm but still soft on top this is when you can add your special ingredients (look below for delicious ideas)
- Here is the crucial moment - The Folding! Wait until your omelette is golden brown and use a spatula to draw in the sides to the centre to heat up any remaining running egg. When everything seems solid, simply use your spatula (together with a spoon if need be) and fold over!
- Cook for a few more moments, and serve!
A great tasting meal in less than 10 minutes
The great thing about omelettes is that, once you’ve aced the method; you have the choice of a vast variety of ingredients to make it suitable for any time of day and for anybody’s taste! Here are some tasty omelette-filling ideas:
- Pre-cooked meats
Vegetables, for example:
- Fresh herbs
- Jalapeños – if you can handle it!
Try a combination of these, but be careful not to over-stuff! Have a look at out our awesome omelette recipes for more ideas. Want a visual guide? Check out a video of TV chef Paul Merrett as he brings his technique to the table.
Now you’re ready to finally create your own perfect omelette - Ready, steady, cook…!