Switching up the breakfast classics with Savoury Porridge
Savoury porridge I hear you ask, trust me don’t knock it until you have tried it. I am a big fan of eggs and greens for breakfast but when the weather is colder and the mornings are icey sometimes there is nothing that beats a bowl of warming porridge. So why not combine the two? Breakfasting just got interesting.
How to make the perfect savoury porridge
- Porridge oats - I use a cupful of large oats
- Water or almond milk
- One British Lion egg
- Kale - a big handful
- Coconut oil
- Chilli flakes - to your taste
- Half an avocado
- Optional - finely chopped onion, garlic to taste, sea salt
- Porridge is a personal preference, some people like it with water, some with milk, other people swear by making it on a hob and for others its a microwave job. How you want to make it is up to you as we all have our porridge preferences. I personally make it with unsweetened almond milk and stir it on the hob until it is thick and creamy.
- As the porridge is cooking, heat a pan with coconut oil, put the kale in and let it wilt down.
- Optional - stir fry some finely chopped onion and garlic and add this in for extra flavour into the porridge once nearly cooked.
- Once the porridge is creamy and the kale is pretty much cooked, fry up an egg with coconut oil - sunny side up :)
- Then its the important part, the plating up! Porridge first with a side of kale and avocado and then the egg on top.
- Final touches are a sprinkling of chilli flakes and sea salt.
Voila! Savoury porridge with a good side of greens and egg for the perfectly balanced breakfast of carbs, protein and good fats, which tastes great as well.