- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 20mins
- 250g asparagus
- 75g wholemeal plain flour or white plain flour
- 120g water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 150g green cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- Pickled ginger
- Spring onion, finely sliced
- Cress or microgreens
- Cut the bottom 2cm off the woody stalk of each asparagus and discard, then cut into thirds. Place into a large frying pan containing 1cm of water and place over a high heat. Once the water starts to simmer, leave to cook for 1 minute then drain.
- Place the flour, water and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce and eggs. Use a whisk or fork to stir it together until just combined – do not over mix.
- Add the cooked asparagus, sliced spring onions and shredded cabbage and stir together a few times to coat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the same frying pan you were using earlier over a high heat. Once hot, turn the heat down to low and pour in half of the batter, spreading it out into a roughly 20cm circle. Leave to cook for 5-7 minutes until golden underneath. Flip and cook on the other side for a further 5-7 minutes until cooked through – you can test this by poking a knife into the centre, if it comes out clean it’s done.
- Flip out onto a cutting board and serve with the sauce and toppings, as desired. Repeat with the remaining batter so you have 2 large pancakes
You can add Furikake seasoning as an additional topping for a more authentic Japanese version
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Sweet potato Spanish tortilla
This dish makes a great recovery meal as it provides plenty of carbohydrates (from the sweet potato) as well...
King prawn and asparagus omelette
This colourful and vibrant dish is jam-packed with flavours, and is a light and super healthy dish for the...
Wild mushroom omelette
Treat yourself to an omelette with a difference.