- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 20mins
- 250g asparagus
- 75g wholemeal plain flour or white plain flour
- 120g water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 150g green cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- Pickled ginger
- Spring onion, finely sliced
- Cress or microgreens
- Cut the bottom 2cm off the woody stalk of each asparagus and discard, then cut into thirds. Place into a large frying pan containing 1cm of water and place over a high heat. Once the water starts to simmer, leave to cook for 1 minute then drain.
- Place the flour, water and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce and eggs. Use a whisk or fork to stir it together until just combined – do not over mix.
- Add the cooked asparagus, sliced spring onions and shredded cabbage and stir together a few times to coat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the same frying pan you were using earlier over a high heat. Once hot, turn the heat down to low and pour in half of the batter, spreading it out into a roughly 20cm circle. Leave to cook for 5-7 minutes until golden underneath. Flip and cook on the other side for a further 5-7 minutes until cooked through – you can test this by poking a knife into the centre, if it comes out clean it’s done.
- Flip out onto a cutting board and serve with the sauce and toppings, as desired. Repeat with the remaining batter so you have 2 large pancakes
You can add Furikake seasoning as an additional topping for a more authentic Japanese version
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Big breakfast tortilla
A delicious egg recipe that can be enjoyed by all the family for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Thai pork omelette
Flex your South East Asian taste buds and try this Thai delight that combines the rich flavours of succulent...
Chilli cheese and jalapeño omelette
Go Mexican with this jalapeno omelette, a fiery and filling dish that’s bursting with flavour. Add your own salsa...