- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 20mins
- 250g asparagus
- 75g wholemeal plain flour or white plain flour
- 120g water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 150g green cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- Pickled ginger
- Spring onion, finely sliced
- Cress or microgreens
- Cut the bottom 2cm off the woody stalk of each asparagus and discard, then cut into thirds. Place into a large frying pan containing 1cm of water and place over a high heat. Once the water starts to simmer, leave to cook for 1 minute then drain.
- Place the flour, water and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce and eggs. Use a whisk or fork to stir it together until just combined – do not over mix.
- Add the cooked asparagus, sliced spring onions and shredded cabbage and stir together a few times to coat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the same frying pan you were using earlier over a high heat. Once hot, turn the heat down to low and pour in half of the batter, spreading it out into a roughly 20cm circle. Leave to cook for 5-7 minutes until golden underneath. Flip and cook on the other side for a further 5-7 minutes until cooked through – you can test this by poking a knife into the centre, if it comes out clean it’s done.
- Flip out onto a cutting board and serve with the sauce and toppings, as desired. Repeat with the remaining batter so you have 2 large pancakes
You can add Furikake seasoning as an additional topping for a more authentic Japanese version
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Spanish omelette with chorizo
Quick, filling and tasty recipe for Spanish omelette with potato, onion and chorizo, that can be eaten warm or...
Salmon and watercress frittata
A frittata is an excellent way to combine a variety of different ingredients into one delicious meal. We use...
Fine herb omelette with sliced smoked salmon
A recipe for fine herb omelette served with sliced smoked salmon.
How to make an omelette
Healthy, quick and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, omelettes are one of the most popular and versatile dishes...