Black bean soup with poached egg
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 45mins
This soup is filling, warming and comforting. It’s super easy to make and relies mostly on store-cupboard ingredients.
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins black beans
- 400ml vegetable stock
- a handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 10 minutes, until starting to soften, then add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, black beans and vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Season to taste.
3. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, one at a time, then lower into the soup. Poach for 5 minutes. Season the eggs and scatter over the parsley before serving with crusty bread.
You can add chopped bacon to the base for an extra punch of flavour.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
A great-tasting picnic favourite, our summer quiche recipe is a fantastic dish to share with others on a sunny...
Aubergine and tomato baked eggs
Check out our aubergine and tomato baked eggs recipe for a simple one-pan vegetarian meal that’s perfect for a...
Eggy bubble and squeak cakes
This is a great way of using up left over veg - any will do. If you haven’t got...