Chaat masala fried eggs
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 15mins
- 1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1.5cm cubes and boiled until tender
- Sunflower oil – enough to fill a small saucepan to 1cm plus 3 tbsp
- 30g easy cook rice
- ½ 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 50g peanuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala or chaat masala spice
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp tamarind and date chutney or spicy mango chutney, plus 2 tbsp to serve
- Large mild green chilli, sliced
- 3 tbsp mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 30g butter
- 4 tbsp soured cream mixed with the juice of 1/2 lime
- Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a frying pan, add potato and cook for 5-6 minutes until deep golden and crispy all over.
- Pour sunflower oil into a small deep saucepan to a depth of 1cm and heat until very hot. Drop in half the rice and wait a few seconds until puffed up. Use a metal slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Repeat with remaining rice.
- Mix together remaining ingredients except eggs, butter and soured cream and leave to one side.
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, add the eggs and fry until the whites are almost set. Add butter and baste for a few seconds to finish.
- Plate the eggs. Just before serving, mix the puffed rice and potato into the salad mix and scatter over the eggs.
- Serve topped with soured cream and chutney.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: