Chickpea and poached egg salad
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 5mins
This is an easy and nutritious salad that can be prepared quickly and makes an excellent lunch!
- 8 large British Lion eggs
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 50g rocket
- 6 tbsp pesto
1. Place the red onion into a small bowl with the caster sugar, white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set aside to pickle while you prepare the rest of your salad.
2. Place the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, rocket and pesto into a medium serving bowl and toss to combine.
3. Bring a large pan of water to just below a simmer. Stir the water to create a whirlpool effect. Crack an egg into a small bowl, and as the whirlpool is dying down, carefully drop the egg into the water. Leave to poach for about 3 minutes, until the white has set and the yolk is still runny. Then remove with a slotted spoon.
4. Divide the salad between 4 bowls and scatter over the pickled onions. Top each bowl with two poached eggs. Season and serve immediately.
You can swap the chickpeas for any tinned bean such as butterbeans or lentils.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Coronation Egg & Bacon Sandwich
An egg-citing twist on Coronation chicken sandwich!
Egg and tomato pitta pockets
A great lunch recipe which takes just minutes to make.