Chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and rum caramel sauce
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 20mins
The most indulgent pancakes you’ll ever have. Bring comfort and luxury to your life!
- 2 medium British Lion eggs
- 130g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 100ml whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 50g chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil to fry
- 25g caster sugar
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 25g double cream
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- Pinch of salt
- 25ml double cream
1. Start with making the pancake batter. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the butter, eggs and milk. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry gradually and whisk until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps of flour. Fold in the chocolate chips.
3. Warm up a teaspoon of oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. When the oil is hot pour 2 tablespoons of batter into the centre of the pan and shape with the back of the spoon into a round disc.
4. Cook for 2 minutes on first side, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes till the pancake is golden brown. Transfer onto a cooling rack and cook the rest of the mixture.
5. Whilst the pancakes are cooling down, make the sauce. Simply put all the ingredients (except the rum) into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over a low heat, stirring continuously. Simmer and stir for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is golden brown. Take the sauce off the heat and add the rum. Whisk or stir vigorously until the sauce is smooth again.
6. Using a whisk, beat the cream to a soft peak consistency.
7. To serve, stack the pancakes, top with the cream and pour the rum sauce over the stack.
double the ingredients for the caramel rum sauce. Make a big batch and keep the leftovers in a jar for future breakfasts!
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: