Dean Edwards' fragrant Indonesian fried rice
Dean Edwards' egg fried rice with chicken makes a super-speedy supper for four. Check out Dean's video version of this recipe here.
- 400g brown basmati rice
- 4 large British Lion eggs, beaten
- 250g leftover roast chicken, shredded
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and cut into thin batons
- 30g peanuts (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the rice to the packet instructions. Drain and leave to cool.
- Beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a non-stick pan and add the eggs. Roll around the pan to coat thinly. Cook for 1-2 minutes then flip and cook for a further minute. Roll the omelette and slice.
- Blend half of the onion along with the garlic, chilli, sugar, tomato puree and soy until smooth.
- Add the oil to a hot pan and fry the other half of the onion until soft. Add the shredded chicken and the puree. Cook for a couple of minutes then add the rice and fry for 3-4 minutes until heated through. Add the spring onions and coriander.
- Divide the hot rice between four bowls. Top with the cucumber, sliced omelette and a few peanuts if liked.