Easter chocolate torte
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 40mins
A decadent Easter treat that could also be served as a dessert when entertaining.
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) butter, softened
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) light soft brown sugar
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) ground almonds
- 4 large British Lion eggs, separated
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) plain chocolate, melted
- 225g (8oz) marzipan
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam, melted
- 200g (7oz) plain chocolate
- 200ml (7 fl oz) double cream
- Grease a 23cm (9-inch) springform cake tin. Line the base. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the almonds, egg yolks, breadcrumbs and melted chocolate. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture. Spoon into the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cover the cake with a damp teatowel and leave to cool in the tin.
- Remove the cake from the tin and place upside down on a wire rack. Roll out the marzipan and cut out a 23cm (9 inch) circle. Cut the cake in half, brush the cut surfaces with jam, place the marzipan between and sandwich together. Brush the apricot jam all over. Melt the chocolate and cream together in a small pan, stirring until melted and smooth. Cool icing slightly.
- Place a baking tray under the wire rack. Pour the icing all over the cake, gently shaking the wire rack to ensure the cake is completely covered. Leave to cool.
- Decorate with the Easter eggs.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Apple and chocolate crisp pancakes
Treat yourself to these deliciously indulgent Apple and Chocolate Crisp pancakes .
Sweet cherry frittata
This delicious dessert which is sure to go down well at home.
Hot cross buns
Hot cross buns - a classic Easter recipe you can now enjoy at any time.