Easter egg biscuits
- Serves: 20
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 10mins
A perfect recipe to make with children over the holidays. But don't expect them to last long!
- 100g/4oz butter
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 60ml/4tbsp golden syrup
- 350g/12oz plain flour
- 5ml/1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 10ml/2tsp ground ginger
- 1 large British Lion egg, beaten
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- To decorate:
- 65g/11/2oz icing sugar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Smarties and ribbons
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Oil two baking sheets.
- In a small pan, melt the butter, sugar and syrup together until just smooth and cool. Sift the flour, soda, and ginger together into a bowl. Stir the butter mixture into the flour with the egg and lemon rind, to make a firm dough.
- Roll out the mixture on a lightly floured surface and use a 7.5cm/3in round cutter to press out about 20 rounds. Re-roll the dough as necessary. Transfer to the baking sheets, then gently pull each to make egg shapes and use a skewer to make a hole in the top of each - this is where the ribbon will be threaded through.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To decorate, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together and spoon into a greaseproof paper piping bag. Stick Smarties all over the Easter eggs attaching them with the icing. Leave to set. Finally thread ribbon through each of the biscuits and hang up if liked.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Double chocolate mousse
A recipe for chocoholics. This luxurious chocolate dessert is ideal for entertaining and will make sure that there are...
Souffle omelette with apples and blackberries
For those with a sweet tooth, try this charming summer soufflé omelette. Filled with crunchy sweet apple pieces and...
Little lemon tarts
These little lemon tarts might have an Easter theme but they taste delicious all year round.