Egg custard can be served on its own or to accompany a hot dessert such as apple pie.
- 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 300ml (1/2 pint) single cream
- 4 large British Lion egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Put the milk and cream in medium heavy-based pan and slowly bring to the boil. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together until creamy.
- Pour the hot milk and cream on to the egg yolks and stir well. Rinse out the saucepan. Strain through a nylon sieve back into the saucepan.
- Place the pan on the lowest heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and has the consistency of single cream. Pour into a warm jug and serve with hot puddings.