Egg in a hole with tomato and feta
Save time in the morning and prep the salad the night before. Store in a bowl in the fridge until ready to use.
- 1 large British Lion eggs
- 1 thick slice of wholemeal bread
- 1 chopped tomato
- 25g cucumber, chopped
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 25g feta cheese, crumbled
- A squeeze of lemon
- Pinch of dried mint (optional)
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Toast the bread on one side in the hot pan. Transfer to a clean board and use a round cutter to press out a circle of bread - save to serve. Tip: cut round a glass if you don’t have a cutter.
- Return the bread to the pan toasted side up, then carefully crack an egg into the hole and cook over a medium heat for 2 mins or until the egg has set. Cover the pan with a lid or upturned plate if the egg isn’t quite cooked after this time, the steam it creates sets the egg on top.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix the tomato, cucumber, pepper and feta together with the lemon and mint if using, with a little ground black pepper.
- Use a spatula to lift the egg filled toast onto a plate with the circle of bread and scatter over the feta mix. Serve straight away.