Eggy bread with guacamole
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 10mins
- 1 British Lion egg
- 50ml whole milk
- 1 slice wholemeal bread (something thick such as a bloomer)
- Knob of unsalted butter or cooking oil
- For the guacamole
- ½ avocado
- 1 cherry tomato, finely chopped
- Squeeze of juice from a lime
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Beat together the egg with the milk in a wide shallow bowl until combined. Season if you like and lay the slice of bread on top. Use a spoon to push it down and leave for 5 minutes to soak up the egg before turning it over to soak the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and de-stone the avocado and spoon the flesh into a bowl. Mash lightly with a fork and stir through the tomatoes, lime juice and olive oil. Season if you like.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, and when it starts to bubble slightly, lift the egg-soaked bread in. Fry for 5 minutes on each side, spooning over any remaining egg before you turn the bread over. Move to a board or plate and slice into fingers. Serve with the guacamole.
See also: the classic eggy bread recipe.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: