Fennel bread and butter pudding
- Serves: 8
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 30mins
Bread & butter pudding with ginger custard.
- For the Fennel Bread and Butter Pudding:
- 600ml whole milk
- 3 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 large British Lion eggs
- 100g granulated sugar + 3tbsp for sprinkling
- 220g brioche loaf, sliced
- 50g soft unsalted butter
- For the Ginger Custard:
- 200ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 30g root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 4 large British Lion egg yolks
- 75g granulated sugar
- For the pudding, place the milk and fennel seeds in a pan, bring to the boil, then set aside and leave to infuse for up to 3 hours. For the custard, place the milk, cream, ginger and vanilla in a pan and bring to the boil, then leave to infuse in the same way.
- Finish the pudding: beat the whole eggs and 100g sugar together then strain over the fennel-flavoured milk. Beat well until the sugar dissolves.
- Butter a 1.5l (3pt) rectangular ovenproof dish. Spread the butter over the brioche then arrange in a couple of overlapping layers. Pour the fennel custard over the brioche pushing it down with a spoon until it is submerged. Leave to soak for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Fan 160 C / Gas 4. Put a kettle of water on to boil. Place the dish in a roasting tin and pour boiling water from the kettle to come half way up the outside of the dish. Sprinkle the top with the extra sugar. Bake for 25-30 mins or until just set and slightly risen.
- Meanwhile finish the ginger custard: beat the egg yolks with the sugar; strain over the ginger milk then return to the rinsed out pan. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Pour into a jug and cool.
- Once cooked, pop the pudding under a hot grill and cook for a couple of minutes until the sugary top has carmelised. Serve warm in squares with the ginger custard spooned around.
*Plus infusing time
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Honey and raspberry pancakes
Honey and raspberry pancakes (217 calories per portion) are a light and delicious dessert, perfect for summer nights.
Christmas meringue snowmen
Christmas meringue snowmen recipe (163 calories per portion)
Orange and lemon soufflés
Impress family and friends with this delicious soufflé recipe at 302 calories per portion