Feta, spinach and caramelised onion omelette
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 2mins
- Cook: 15mins
Top chef Mark Sargeant gives us his luxurious take on a classic omelette, using crumbly feta, spinach and caramelised onion. Made with few ingredients and little cooking time there’s no excuse not to whip up an outstanding omelette.
- 3 medium red onions
- 20g butter
- Olive oil
- 150g spinach leaves
- 200g feta cheese
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- Sea salt and pepper
- Set the oven at 200°C/gas mark 6. Peel the onions, and then slice them thinly. Melt the butter in an oven-proof pan, and add the oil and the onions. Cook over a low to moderate heat until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- Wash the spinach leaves and add to a large pan and place over a moderate heat and cook until they have wilted then remove from the pan and squeeze out any excess water and roughly chop them.
- Add the spinach leaves to the cooked onions and crumble over the feta cheese.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them lightly adding black pepper and just a touch of salt. Add to the oven-proof pan, place on a low heat and leave for 5 minutes, until it is starting to set.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for a further 2-3 minutes or so until the omelette is just set and slightly runny in the centre.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes and serve.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: