- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 45mins
The whole family will love this classic fish pie recipe.
- 3 large British Lion eggs
- 450g/1lb potatoes, peeled
- 210ml/1/2pt milk
- 15g/1/2oz butter
- 30ml/2 tbsp plain flour
- 225g/1/2lb un-dyed smoked cod fillet, skinned
- 1/2 (40g) bag watercress, roughly chopped
- 15g/1/2oz cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan180C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Place 2 of the eggs in a small pan and cover with cold water. Bring slowly to the boil, then simmer for 6 mins. Remove from the heat, drain and rinse the eggs in cold running water. Tap the shells all over then peel away the shells. Cut into quarters and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan, add a pinch of salt and cover with cold water. Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-15mins or until tender. Drain and mash the potatoes. Beat the remaining egg and mix into the potatoes with a fork until fluffy.
- Place the milk, butter and flour together in a medium pan and slowly bring to the boil, using a balloon whisk to whisk the sauce until it boils and thickens. Cook for 1min. Season to taste.
- Cut the cod into large chunks and scatter over the base of a 1.4ltr/21/2pt ovenproof dish with the hard boiled eggs. Scatter over the watercress. Pour the hot sauce over the fish and eggs. Use a spoon and fork to heap the fluffy potatoes on top of the filling, then sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 25-30mins or until the top is golden. Serve hot.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Egg and bacon pie
Make your own delicious egg and bacon pie with this simple recipe
There are numerous variations on quiche but this recipe is a real classic. Perfect for a family meal, can...
Tuna and egg pie
Tuna and egg pie is a useful standby that makes the most of store cupboard ingredients - a tasty...