French-style lentils with egg
Try our French-style lentils with soft-boiled eggs. An internationally inspired family meal.
- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, 1 small carrot, 1 celery stick, all finely chopped
- 125g puy lentils
- 1tsp tomato purée
- 400ml hot vegetable stock
- 200g canned chopped tomatoes
- A couple sprigs of thyme
- ¼ Savoy cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 2 rashers rindless streaky bacon
- Heat the oil in a small pan and sauté the onion, carrot and celery for 10-15min until soft.
- Add the lentils, tomato purée, vegetable stock, tomatoes and thyme, and cover with a lid. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15min. Stir in the cabbage and continue to cook for 5min until the cabbage is tender.
- Put the eggs in a large pan of boiling water and cook for 6min. Shell and quarter. Grill the bacon until crisp and drain excess oil on kitchen paper. Chop into pieces.
- Divide the lentils between two bowls then top with the eggs and bacon.