Gary Rhodes' Eggs Benedict
Recipe courtesy of celebrity chef Gary Rhodes, for British Egg Week 2011.
Makes 250ml of hollandaise sauce.
- a pinch of cayenne or ground white pepper
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 2 muffins, halved
- softened butter, for spreading
- 4 slices of ham
- For the hollandaise sauce (makes 250 ml):
- 175g butter
- 3 large British Lion egg yolks
- juice of 1 small lemon
- To make the hollandaise, melt the butter in a small saucepan or place in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and microwave on HIGH for 40 seconds until melted.
- Place the egg yolks and lemon juice in a blender and, while at maximum speed, slowly add the melted butter, continuing to blend until thick and creamy. Season with salt and cayenne pepper, stirring in an extra squeeze of lemon to finish it off, if needed. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a rapid simmer and poach the eggs for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the grill, lightly butter each muffin half and toast to a golden brown
- Top each muffin with a slice of ham and a warm poached egg, finishing with some hollandaise sauce poured over.
For more recipes from Gary Rhodes, visit www.garyrhodes.com.