Giant Russian blinis with horseradish, mackerel and salmon topping
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 15mins
- 1 British Lion egg, separated
- 70g buckwheat flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 225ml milk
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the topping:
- 4 tbsp crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp hot horseradish sauce
- 2 fillets of smoked mackerel
- 2 slices of smoked salmon
- A few dill fronds
- 2 tsp salmon roe
- Salt and pepper
- Make the pancakes by placing the flours in a bowl. Add egg yolk, salt and milk then whisk together to form a smooth batter.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg white to stiff peaks, then fold into the batter. Along with the chives.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Using a tablespoon, drop large spoonfuls of batter into the pan to make round pancakes around 8cm in diameter. Cook for 2-3 minutes on this side until golden brown then flip them over and cook for a further 2 minutes – you will need to do this in batches.
- Once cooked remove from the pan and set to one side.
- For the topping, mix together the crème fraiche and horseradish. Season well with pepper.
- Remove the skin from the smoked mackerel fillets, then break it up into bite size pieces.
- Place a teaspoon of the crème fraiche mix on top of 4 blinis then top with some smoked salmon.
- Top with the remaining blinis, then some more of the horseradish mix and some of the smoked mackerel.
- Place a small spoonful of salmon roe and a scattering of dill fronds on top and serve. Season with black pepper and then serve.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Moroccan semolina pancakes
Try this recipe for Moroccan semolina pancakes for a truly international taste
A delicious retro recipe for pancakes in a boozy orange sauce
How to Make Pancakes
Make the Perfect Pancakes! What’s not to like about pancakes? These fabulous flat treats are easy to make and...