Homemade beans with lightly fried eggs
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 35mins
Homemade beans topped with lightly fried eggs - a deliciously different recipe, perfect at tea time.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, 1 stick of celery and 1 small onion, all finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1tsp finely chopped sage and fresh rosemary
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1tsp tomato purée
- 400g can butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 medium British Lion eggs
- 4 small slices wholemeal bread
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the carrot, celery and onion over a low heat for 10-15min until softened and just golden.
- Stir in the red pepper and continue to cook for 2-3min. Add the sage, rosemary, tomatoes, hot stock, tomato purée and butterbeans. Season well, and simmer for 15min uncovered.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the eggs until the yolk is just set.
- Toast the bread, divide between two plates and top with the beans and fried eggs. Serve immediately.
You can make double the quantity of the beans to freeze. Once cool, put in an airtight container and freeze for up to a month. Thaw overnight at cool room temperature.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Low calorie huevos rancheros in a hurry
Want to treat your family to something different but find yourself strapped for time? This delicious egg recipe is...
Veggy breakfast sizzle
A quick and easy breakfast recipe that's a real treat.
Mexican style fried eggs
A quick and easy meal that the family will love. Suitable for vegetarians.