How to boil an egg
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 0mins
- Cook: 5mins
Timing boiled eggs can be difficult, especially when trying to make perfect soft boiled eggs for dipping soldiers or to easy peel hard boiled eggs. Egg cooking time depends on a number of factors – whether the eggs are refrigerated, their size and even the type of pan used.
Many people are not sure how to boil eggs, so we have put together a list of easy to follow instructions for getting great boiled eggs every time. Whether soft or hard boiled, for perfect boiled eggs every time, download the Egg Recipes app with its in-built egg timer.
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- Water for boiling
- Pinch of salt
- Buttered toast cut into soldiers to serve (optional)
- Place egg in a small pan. Cover with at least 2.5cm (1") of cold water, add a pinch of salt and place the pan on a high heat.
- When the water is almost boiling, gently stir the egg and set a kitchen timer for one of the timings below:
- 3 minutes for really soft boiled yolk and set white
- 4 minutes for slightly set yolk and set white
- 5 minutes for firmer yolk and white
- 6 minutes for hard boiled with lightly soft yolk
- 7 minutes for firmly hard boiled
- Reduce heat slightly to keep water bubbling but not fast boiling and stir the egg once more.
- Once cooking time is complete, remove the egg from the pan with slotted spoon, place into egg cup and serve immediately with hot buttered toast soldiers.
Cook's Tip: To prevent egg cracking, make a small pin prick in the shell at the rounded end to allow the steam to escape.
Boiling is just the beginning! Try out one of our many fantastic boiled egg recipes and create some dynamic and delicious dishes.
The Egg Recipes egg timer allows you to tailor the cooking time to your preferences – whether you like hard boiled eggs with a firm yolk or soft boiled eggs with a runny yolk. Just select your desired choice from the menu and let the timer do the work!
Boiled eggs are a quick and easy way to bulk up any meal, particularly for vegetarians, but many still struggle with how to make the perfect boiled egg. No matter how you like your eggs boiled, our recipe suits any type of meal.
Boiled eggs can be a delicious addition to any meal; simple or adventurous. So why not try a quick and easy Crunchy seeded soldiers and soft boiled eggs for lunch? Or a Chicken and avocado cobb salad for a healthy meal in a hurry.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: