How to fry an egg
Master the art of frying an egg by following these easy steps. For more tips on how to fry an egg watch our video featuring top chef Paul Merrett.
- 1 large British Lion eg
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Grilled bacon and tomatoes to serve (optional)
- Place 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a small frying pan and place over a medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, use a knife to crack the shell and tip the egg, straight into the hot fat. Cook over a low to medium heat for 1 minute or until the white is set.
- Tilt the pan slightly and use a teaspoon to scoop the surplus hot oil/fat over the top of the egg until the yolk is cooked to your liking.
- For over easy eggs, carefully slide a spatula underneath the cooked egg and flip over to cook the yolk for 1 minute.
- Once cooked, lift the egg from the pan using a spatula and place onto kitchen paper to drain excess fat. Serve with a slice of buttered toast or rashers of grilled bacon and tomatoes.
Cook's tip: To prevent the egg sticking to the pan during frying, sprinkle a little salt on the hot butter or oil before adding the egg to the pan