Irish colcannon with bacon pancakes
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 15mins
Irish Colcannon with bacon pancakes celebrate the best of British - delicious!
Nutritional analysis per portion: Energy: 297kcals; Protein: 16.3g; Total fat: 17.6g; Sat fat: 8.3g; Carbs: 19.6g; Salt: 0.2g
- 75g/3oz plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 200ml/7floz milk
- a little oil for frying
- a knob of butter
- 3 rashers streaky bacon, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 225g/8oz shredded cabbage
- 75g/3oz Irish cheddar, grated
- Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl, add half the milk and whisk well until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer, place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use - it may need thinning after standing, add a little milk or water.
- Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe around the pan with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Pour in a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 mins or until the top is set and the base golden. Flip over using a spatula or if you are feeling brave, toss the pancake!
- Cook the pancake for a further 1-2 mins or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate and cover with greaseproof paper, keep warm. Use the batter to make a further 3 pancakes in the same way.
- For the filling: melt the butter in the frying pan, add the bacon and fry for 3-4 mins or until golden. Add the onion, cabbage and 1 tbsp of water and stir fry for a further 3-4 mins or until the cabbage is tender. Season with plenty of ground black pepper.
- To serve, divide the filling between the pancakes and roll up. Place on a baking sheet and scatter over the cheese. Cook under a hot grill for 2 mins or until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve hot with sautéed mushrooms if desired.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: