Kind of kedgeree
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 20mins
A quick and economical version of the British favourite.
- 30ml/2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 15ml/1tbsp medium curry paste
- 225g/8oz basmati rice
- 600ml/1pt vegetable stock
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 175g/6oz frozen peas
- 1 (250g) pack peppered mackerel fillets, skinned and flaked
- 30g/2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 30ml/2tbsp natural yogurt
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion and sauté for 3-4mins or until golden. Add the curry paste and rice and stir until coated. Add the stock, cover and simmer for 6mins. Stir in the peas and simmer for a further 4mins or until the rice and peas are tender, adding a little more water if the rice begins to stick.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 7mins. Drain the eggs, then rinse in cold water. Tap the shells all over and peel away. Cut the eggs into quarters.
- Stir the mackerel, parsley and yogurt through the rice, cover for a couple more minutes to heat through, before serving with wedges of lemon.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: