Lancashire cheese and bacon pancakes
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 25mins
- 75g/3oz plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 150ml/1/4pt milk
- A little oil for frying
- For the filling:
- 50g/2oz Lancashire cheese, grated
- 6 rashers of smoked back bacon
- 100ml half fat soured cream
- 2 tbsp chives, snipped
- First make the pancakes: Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl with half the milk. Whisk until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth, Pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use.
- Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe it around with a piece of kitchen paper. Now pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 minutes or until the top is set and the base golden. Turn the pancake over with a spatula or if you are feeling brave, flip the pancake!
- Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate and interleave with greaseproof paper, keep warm. Use the batter and a little more oil to make a further 7 pancakes in the same way.
- For the filling: grill the bacon for about 8 minutes, turning once until it is crisp on both sides. Snip into thin pieces.
- Take four of the pancakes and divide the bacon pieces between them, along the centre of each, with the soured cream and chives and half the cheese. Roll them up and place in a heatproof dish. Scatter the remaining cheese over the top and pop under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve hot, scattered with chives if liked. Eat the remaining pancakes simply with caster sugar and lemon.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Irish colcannon with bacon pancakes
Irish Colcannon with bacon pancakes celebrate the best of British - delicious! Nutritional analysis per portion: Energy: 297kcals; Protein...
Tuna and vegetable pancakes
A packed pancake that makes a delicious lunch or dinner meal.