Low calorie piperade with eggs
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 15mins
Low calorie piperade with eggs makes a lovely light and tasty lunch.Peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C and beta-carotene, powerful antioxidants that help athletes recover faster after exercise and boost immune function. The eggs in this recipe add protein (important for repairing muscles after exercise), B vitamins and iron.
- 1 tablespoon/15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium British Lion eggs
- 1 tablespoon/15ml chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Add the peppers, tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. When the vegetables are soft, pour in the eggs and continue cooking and stirring for 1 – 2 minutes, until the eggs are just set (but not too firm). Scatter over the parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- Place the oil, onion, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and thyme in a micro-proof dish. Mix so that the vegetables are coated in the oil. Cover with an upturned plate and cook on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. Add the eggs to the vegetables, cover with the upturned plate and continue cooking on HIGH for 1 min 30 sec.
- Stir well then re-cover and cook on HIGH for a further 2 mins. Leave to stand for 3 min, until the eggs are just set (but not too firm). Scatter over the parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Pepper and courgette frittata
Use any vegetables in this tasty microwave supper, suitable for vegetarians.
Low calorie cherry tomato and parmesan frittata
This two-egg dish is rich in protein so helps repair and build muscle after intense exercise. It also includes...
Low calorie easy scrambled eggs (microwave recipe)
This easy low calorie recipe for scrambled egg is a great breakfast or lunch for when you're watching your...