Low calorie piperade with eggs
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 15mins
Low calorie piperade with eggs makes a lovely light and tasty lunch.Peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C and beta-carotene, powerful antioxidants that help athletes recover faster after exercise and boost immune function. The eggs in this recipe add protein (important for repairing muscles after exercise), B vitamins and iron.
- 1 tablespoon/15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium British Lion eggs
- 1 tablespoon/15ml chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Add the peppers, tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. When the vegetables are soft, pour in the eggs and continue cooking and stirring for 1 – 2 minutes, until the eggs are just set (but not too firm). Scatter over the parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- Place the oil, onion, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and thyme in a micro-proof dish. Mix so that the vegetables are coated in the oil. Cover with an upturned plate and cook on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. Add the eggs to the vegetables, cover with the upturned plate and continue cooking on HIGH for 1 min 30 sec.
- Stir well then re-cover and cook on HIGH for a further 2 mins. Leave to stand for 3 min, until the eggs are just set (but not too firm). Scatter over the parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: