MOB Kitchen's anchovy and caper carbonara
- Serves: 4
A new take on carbonara using British Lion eggs, a zesty lemon, parmesan and mixed with a base of anchovies, capers, chilli ﬂakes and a scatter of parsley.
- 6 British Lion egg yolks
- 100g parmesan
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 9 anchovies, chopped (save the oil in the tin)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Large handful of capers
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Bunch of parsley
- 400g linguine
- Olive oil
- Take two bowls and separate your British Lion egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Season your yolks with salt, a generous amount of pepper (around 4 pinches), lemon zest and grated parmesan (saving some for the garnish). Whisk together and set aside.
- Chop your anchovies finely and add them, along with the anchovy oil saved from the tin and chilli flakes, to a pan over a medium heat. Cook until the anchovies dissolve and you get a thick brown paste which holds the ﬂavour.
- Once you get this paste, slice the garlic and add into the pan with the capers and a glug of olive oil.
- Bring some water to the boil in a saucepan, add a pinch of salt and your linguine.
- Once the pasta has been cooking for 5 minutes, remove around 200ml of pasta water and add 5 tbsp of it into the anchovy pan, letting it bubble down.
- Keep an eye on your linguine and once it is al dente, drain and add to the anchovy pan along with your eggy mix and a further 3 tbsp of pasta water. Mix this all together.
- When the linguine is nice and silky, remove from the heat - if the sauce looks too thick add a bit more water.
- Finely chop up the parsley and toss this though the linguine (saving some for garnish). Serve up with a scatter of parsley, a grating of parmesan and a twist of black pepper. Enjoy!
*Make sure you reserve plenty of pasta water to get the perfect creamy carbonara consistency.
**Set egg whites aside and use for meringues or cocktails.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Healthy mid week Chinese-style egg rice stir-fry
A great stir-fry recipe.
Japanese Rice Bowl
A classic rice and chicken dish with a Japanese twist. Slowly cooked chicken makes it sing!
Fragrant Indonesian fried rice
Egg fried rice with chicken makes a super-speedy supper for four.
Pesto, spring greens & egg pasta
This flavourful pasta dish will be a hit with everyone – plus it’s a great (and quick and easy)...