Neil Rankin's mackerel with broccoli and special scrambled eggs
Here’s something with sophistication – grab some white wine (for yourself and the recipe) and combine with juicy mackerel and fresh broccoli. Whip up some special scrambled eggs and enjoy a light, tasty meal.
- 4 tbsp white wine
- 3 large British Lion eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 50g butter, cubed, at room temperature
- Juice of half a lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 2 mackerel fillets
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 sprig of thyme, plus extra to serve
- 150g green beans, trimmed
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli
- Pat the mackerel dry with kitchen paper. Grill the mackerel, skin side up for 4-5 minutes under a hot grill. Season it with a little salt and leave to one side.
- In a saucepan add the white wine and reduce to a tablespoon quantity. Take the pan off the heat, add the eggs and cream and then set to a low heat and gently stir. Add one cube of butter at a time and emulsify slowly. Once all the butter is combined add the lemon juice and salt to taste. It should be a slightly lumpy, but still loose, butter sauce.
- Fry the garlic in a frying pan with a little oil and add the thyme, green beans and broccoli and cook until soft. Season with salt.
- Place the vegetables on a plate, top with the mackerel fillet, then pour over the eggs and serve.