Northumbrian pancakes with kippers
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 20mins
Northumbrian pancakes with kippers - a delicious pancake recipe, using the best of British ingredients.
- 75g/3oz plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 200ml/7floz milk
- a little oil for frying
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 traditional kipper fillets
- 25g/1oz butter
- 6 British Lion eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- snipped fresh chives to serve
- Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl, add half the milk and whisk well until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer, place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use - it may need thinning after standing, add a little milk or water.
- Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe around the pan with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Pour in a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 mins or until the top is set and the base golden. Flip over using a spatula or if you are feeling brave, toss the pancake!
- Cook the pancake for a further 1-2 mins or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate and cover with greaseproof paper, keep warm. Use the batter to make a further 3 pancakes in the same way.
- Cook the kipper fillets: either place on a microwaveable dish, cover with an upturned plate and microwave on high for 5 mins; or pop on a grill rack and cook under a hot grill for 5 mins on each side. Remove the flesh from the skin discarding any large bones and flake the flesh.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan, beat the eggs and milk together with seasoning and pour into the pan. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 mins, stirring until the eggs are scrambled. Stir in the kipper flakes. Divide the egg between four pancakes. Serve hot with grilled tomatoes and a few fresh snipped chives if desired.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: