- Serves: 12
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 45mins
Passion cake is a classic Easter recipe, a teatime treat the whole family can enjoy.
- 150g/5oz plain flour
- 5ml/1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5ml/1tsp baking powder
- 5ml/1tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 225g/8oz carrots, peeled
- 75g/3oz walnuts, chopped
- 3 large British Lion eggs
- 175ml/6floz sunflower oil
- 150g/5oz caster sugar
- 10ml/2tsp vanilla essence
- For the topping:
- 150g/5oz full fat soft cheese
- 25g/1oz icing sugar, sifted
- 2.5ml/1/2tsp vanilla essence
- 12 walnut halves
- ribbon to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Oil and base line two 20cm/8in round cake tins.
- Sift the first five ingredients into a large bowl. Coarsely grate the carrots, then add to the bowl with the walnuts. Beat the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla together, add to the bowl and beat until well mixed.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins, then bake in the centre of the oven for about 1hour, or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched in the centre. Cool the cakes in the tins for 5 mins, before removing from the tin and discarding the lining paper. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the topping: place the soft cheese, icing sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl and beat until smooth. Sandwich the cakes together with half the icing and spread the remainder on top. Decorate with the walnut halves.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Easter egg cakes
These delicious Easter egg cakes taste great - too good to be left until Easter!
Lemon meringue roulade
Finish your dinner party in style with this delicious and impressive dessert.
Blueberry and raspberry pancakes
Blueberry and raspberry pancakes are a tasty treat any time of the year, but especially good when British raspberries...