Perfectly poached eggs
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 5mins
Uncover the secret to perfectly delicious poached eggs with this popular and flavourful classic recipe. Tuck into a smooth and runny egg inside a warm buttered bagel with Hollandaise sauce and mouth-watering slices of smoky bacon.
- 1 large British Lion egg
- Water for boiling
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of vinegar
- Use a deep, large pan to poach an egg. Fill it with plenty of water and add a pinch of salt and a dash of white wine vinegar. This will help set the egg.
- Bring the water to the boil and use a slotted spoon to create a whirlpool in the water. Crack the egg into the middle of the whirlpool. You may want to crack it into a ramekin first – using a separate vessel helps the egg keep its shape.
- Let the egg set for 3-5 minutes depending on how runny you want it. You can use a slotted spoon to take it out and lightly squeeze it to test. Crack the egg onto a plate and then tip it into the water. Time as follows:
- 3 minutes for a completely runny yolk
- 4 minutes for a slightly set yolk with a
- runny middle
- 5 minutes for a firm yolk
4. Remove the poached egg from the boiling water using a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain.
Young cook's tip: Serve on a warm buttered muffin, toast or bagel. Add spinach and hollandaise sauce for Eggs Florentine, or ham or bacon and hollandaise to make Eggs Benedict - both great brunch recipes!
For such a seemingly simple dish, perfect poached eggs can be a tricky one to master, especially if they’re part of a bigger meal, it can be easy to get overwhelmed by all the different components. But whether a total beginner or culinary connoisseur, easy poached eggs can be a part of everyone’s repertoire.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Poached egg on bagel
It is a common question chefs get asked: ‘How do you make perfect poached eggs?’ They are probably one...
Soft scrambled eggs
As long as you are ready with your plates and accompaniments, before you begin scrambling your eggs, you will...