Perfectly poached eggs
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 5mins
Uncover the secret to perfectly delicious poached eggs with this popular and flavourful classic recipe. Tuck into a smooth and runny egg inside a warm buttered bagel with Hollandaise sauce and mouth-watering slices of smoky bacon.
- 1 large British Lion egg
- Water for boiling
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of vinegar
- Use a deep, large pan to poach an egg. Fill it with plenty of water and add a pinch of salt and a dash of white wine vinegar. This will help set the egg.
- Bring the water to the boil and use a slotted spoon to create a whirlpool in the water. Crack the egg into the middle of the whirlpool. You may want to crack it into a ramekin first – using a separate vessel helps the egg keep its shape.
- Let the egg set for 3-5 minutes depending on how runny you want it. You can use a slotted spoon to take it out and lightly squeeze it to test. Crack the egg onto a plate and then tip it into the water. Time as follows:
- 3 minutes for a completely runny yolk
- 4 minutes for a slightly set yolk with a
- runny middle
- 5 minutes for a firm yolk
4. Remove the poached egg from the boiling water using a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain.
Young cook's tip: Serve on a warm buttered muffin, toast or bagel. Add spinach and hollandaise sauce for Eggs Florentine, or ham or bacon and hollandaise to make Eggs Benedict - both great brunch recipes!
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: