Poached egg and cod
Delicious light and simple, this poached egg and cod recipe is packed with protein and is guaranteed to be a hit at family meals and lunches. With sliced tomatoes, herbs and a dash of white wine (or vinegar) this dish is best served with mashed potatoes, green beans or salad.
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 (150g/5oz) thick fillets of fresh cod, skinned
- 1 tbsp white wine or tarragon vinegar
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- sprigs fresh parsley, to garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Arrange the tomatoes and basil leaves in two rectangles, slightly larger than the fish fillets, in a lightly oiled, small ovenproof dish. Season with a dash of balsamic vinegar and ground black pepper. Drizzle with a little oil and top the tomatoes with the cod.
- Season the fish with balsamic vinegar and black pepper and drizzle with remaining oil. Bake for 10 minutes. While the fish is cooking, prepare the eggs.
- Fill a small non-stick frying pan with 2cm/d"0 cold water and bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat. Add the white wine or tarragon vinegar then gently break in the eggs. Poach for 4-5 minutes until just firm, spooning hot water over the eggs occasionally as they cook.
- Remove the fish from the oven and set on two warmed plates. Top with poached eggs and garnish with parsley. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans or salad.