Poached eggs in red wine with smoked bacon and onions
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 30mins
Colourful and delicious, this recipe is perfect for entertaining.
- 4 British Lion eggs
- 250ml Port
- 1 bottle red wine
- Sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 400ml beef stock (in liquid form, not stock cubes)
- 160g smoked bacon, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 160g button mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 200g button onions, peeled and halved
- 4 slices of baguette 1 inch thick
- 20g plain flour
- 20g soft unsalted butter
- Pour the red wine and port into a very hot pan with the thyme and bay leaf, boil for 10 min and reduce by half. Add the beef stock and boil for 10 min.
- While the wine is reducing, fry the onions with a little olive oil in a pan for 5 min until golden. Do the same for the mushrooms and bacon. Drain everything on kitchen paper.
- Strain the stock through a sieve into a clean pan to remove the thyme and bay leaf. Crack the eggs into small cups, place the stock on the heat and just before the liquid starts to boil, take a spoon and swirl around the pan to create a whirlpool. Quickly drop the eggs and cook for 3 mins. Remove and place on the kitchen paper.
- In a bowl rub the flour into the butter to form a paste. Gradually whisk this paste into the stock in small pieces and boil until it starts to thicken. Add the bacon, mushrooms and onion and cook for 2 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, toast the bread, place on a plate, put an egg on top and spoon the sauce and garnish over the egg.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise
A recipe for classic eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise.
Soft poached eggs, sweetcorn pancake and crispy pancetta
A recipe for soft poached eggs served on a sweetcorn pancake and crispy pancetta.
Gizzi Erskine's Turkish eggs with toast
A fantastic brunch dish by Gizzi Erskine