- Serves: 5
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 60mins
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium white Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- fine salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 medium floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper
- 6 large British Lion eggs, beaten
- Heat 6 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok. Add the onions, season with salt, and fry gently for 20 minutes or so until soft and brown, but not burnt.
- Peel and halve the potatoes, then slice finely. Add the potatoes to the onions and fry for 30 minutes over a low heat until they are completely cooked. Remove any excess oil with a spoon. Season. While the mixture is still warm, add the beaten eggs and stir everything well.
- Heat a clean, medium (22cm diameter is ideal), non-stick frying pan with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, then add the potato mixture. Stir for 1 minute then smooth the mixture down, and let it fry gently for at least 10 minutes, until there’s a brown crust underneath.
- Once the tortilla is cooked on the frying pan side, take a flat lid or plate and place it over the pan. Clamp the pan and lid together and turn both over together so that the tortilla is now on the lid. Return the pan to the heat, and slide the tortilla back into the pan. It’s a bit scary to begin with, but practice makes perfect and it’s very easy to get the hang of the technique.
- Let the tortilla cool to room temperature before serving. Ideally, leave it for a day before cutting it into wedges.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Click here to watch Mark cooking this super-speedy and tasty recipe.
Fine herb omelette with sliced smoked salmon
A recipe for fine herb omelette served with sliced smoked salmon.
Chilli cheese and jalapeño omelette
Go Mexican with this jalapeno omelette, a fiery and filling dish that’s bursting with flavour. Add your own salsa...
Feta, spinach and caramelised onion omelette
Top chef Mark Sargeant gives us his luxurious take on a classic omelette, using crumbly feta, spinach and caramelised...