Russian fish pie
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 25mins
- Cook: 30mins
Try fish pie, Russian-style
- 10 medium British Lion eggs, hard boiled
- 1kg (approx 2lb) smoked haddock
- 500ml (1pt) milk
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 450g (1lb) onions, sliced
- 75g (3 oz) flour
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1kg (approx 2lb) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 beaten British Lion egg to glaze
- Poach the smoked haddock in the milk until just cooked. Drain, reserving the milk. Skin and flake the fish.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and gently fry until soft. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flaked fish, lemon juice and seasoning. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pastry on a floured surface into a 45cm (18") square.
- Pour the fish mixture in the centre of the pastry. Spread into a 30cm (12") square. Quarter the eggs and arrange on the top in rows. Dampen the pastry edges and bring each corner to meet in the centre. Seal and pinch the edges. Glaze with a beaten egg.
- Bake at Gas Mark 7/220C/435F for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is well risen and golden brown.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Painted boiled eggs
Nutritional analysis per portion: Energy: 78kcals; Protein: 7.5g; Total fat: 5.4g; Sat fat: 1.5g; Salt: 0.2g
Deep fried eggs with chicory and bacon
This recipe made it to the final of British Lion eggs' 'Eggs Factor' competition and it's a cracking contender!...