- Serves: 4
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 25mins
- 5 large British Lion eggs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Groundnut oil for deep frying
- For the chilli sauce…
- 6 tbsp groundnut oil
- 4 mild red chillies, chopped (deseed for less heat)
- 250g shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- 1 ½ tbsp shrimp paste
- Small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- For the dressing…
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Juice of one lime
- Place four eggs, in their shells, in a pan of gently boiling water for five minutes, drain and place in a bowl of iced water for 15 minutes. Remove shells and dry on kitchen paper.
- Beat the remaining egg in a shallow bowl, sprinkle flour on a plate and breadcrumbs on another plate. Roll each boiled egg into the flour, then dip in the egg, then roll in the crumbs to coat. Set aside until ready to cook.
- In a blender whizz together oil, chillies, shallots, pepper, shrimp paste and coriander stalks until coarse. Heat in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pepper and chilies have cooked down and the oil has separated.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Half fill a small deep saucepan with oil and heat until very hot (a cube of oil should turn golden in 20 seconds). Add the eggs, two at a time and cook for 1-2 minutes until they are a deep golden colour, drain on kitchen paper and repeat.
- Spoon the chilli sauce on to a serving plate, top with fried eggs and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Gizzi Erskine's Keralan egg curry
Lovers of authentic Indian cuisine will know that curries can take some time to prepare – well, with Gizzi...
Egg caesar salad
This egg caesar salad brings a taste of summer to the dinner table - delicious.