Springtime Eggs Benedict
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 10mins
- 6 British Lion eggs
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 125g salted butter
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 125g fine asparagus spears
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 English muffins
- 4 thick slices of honey roast ham
- Place two egg yolks in a small blender. Melt the butter in a saucepan until bubbling them remove from the heat.
- Blend the egg yolks then slowly drip the hot butter through the funnel in the top until incorporated and the sauce is thick.
- Remove the sauce from the blender and place in a bowl. Loosen the sauce with lemon juice to taste then season with salt and pepper. Fold in the spring onions. Leave the bowl of sauce set over a pan of warm water to keep it from going cold while you make the rest of the dish.
- Bring a frying pan to a high heat. Add the olive oil then the fine asparagus spears. Fry for 1 minute then add a splash of water and allow to steam for a further minute. Season with salt and pepper and a little lemon juice. Then set aside and keep warm.
- Bring a wide pan of salted water to the boil. You need the water to be about 6cm deep. Once simmering, turn the heat down then crack the four eggs into the water. Leave to gently poach for 4-5 minutes or until the white is set and the yolk is still runny.
- While the eggs are poaching, toast the muffins. Place the ham on top of each muffin half and top these with the asparagus. Then remove the poached eggs from the water with a slotted spoon, using some kitchen paper to drain off any excess water and place on top of the asparagus. Drizzle over the warm hollandaise and finish with a few chopped spring onions and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Poached egg on bagel
It is a common question chefs get asked: ‘How do you make perfect poached eggs?’ They are probably one...
Perfectly poached eggs
Uncover the secret to perfectly delicious poached eggs with this popular and flavourful classic recipe. Tuck into a smooth...
Eggs Benedict recipe
A classic breakfast favourite, Eggs Benedict is one of the most popular egg recipes. If you're feeling extra crafty...