Three tiered Welsh omelette
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 25mins
Cook up this delicious Welsh recipe combining tangy Caerphilly cheese, hearty potatoes and juicy tomatoes. Savour three layers of creamy cheese wrapped around herbs and spices for a tasty and satisfying supper.
- 225g/8oz potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 60ml/4 tbsp milk
- salt and ground black pepper
- 45ml/3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 100g/4oz Caerphilly cheese, grated
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 60ml/4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs such as basil, coriander and thyme
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 mins or until tender. Drain. Whilst the potatoes cook, beat the eggs with the milk and a little seasoning.
- Preheat the grill. Heat the 1 tbsp of oil in a medium non-stick frying pan, add the potatoes. leeks and onion and sauté for 3 mins. Pour a third of the egg mixture into the pan and cook for about 3 mins or until the base has set. Sprinkle over a quarter of the cheese and pop the pan under the grill. Cook for 1-2mins or until the top has set and cheese has melted. Transfer the omelette to a baking tray and keep warm.
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil to the frying pan, add the peppers and sauté for 2 mins. Add the tomatoes and sauté for a further 1 min. Pour in half the remaining egg and and cook for about 3 mins or until the base has set. Sprinkle over a quarter of the cheese and pop the pan under the grill. Cook for 1-2mins or until the top has set and cheese has melted. Transfer the omelette to a baking tray and keep warm.
- Finally stir the herbs into the remaining egg. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, add the herby egg mixture and cook for 2mins. Pop under the grill for a further 1-2mins or until the top of the eggs have set. Remove from the heat.
- Place the pepper and tomato omelette onto a plate, top with the leek omelette and finally top with the herb omelette. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and pop back under the grill for 1-2mins or until the cheese has melted. Serve in wedges with salad if liked.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Spinach and squash frittata
A deliciously different frittata recipe with spinach and squash. A tasty treat.
Spanish-style sweet potato, mushroom and feta tortilla
A twist on the classic Spanish recipe.
Chickpea and courgette eggah
A lovely light summer recipe, our chickpea and courgette eggah recipe infuses classic Moroccan herbs and spices for an...