Three tiered Welsh omelette
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 25mins
Cook up this delicious Welsh recipe combining tangy Caerphilly cheese, hearty potatoes and juicy tomatoes. Savour three layers of creamy cheese wrapped around herbs and spices for a tasty and satisfying supper.
- 225g/8oz potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 60ml/4 tbsp milk
- salt and ground black pepper
- 45ml/3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 100g/4oz Caerphilly cheese, grated
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 60ml/4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs such as basil, coriander and thyme
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 mins or until tender. Drain. Whilst the potatoes cook, beat the eggs with the milk and a little seasoning.
- Preheat the grill. Heat the 1 tbsp of oil in a medium non-stick frying pan, add the potatoes. leeks and onion and sauté for 3 mins. Pour a third of the egg mixture into the pan and cook for about 3 mins or until the base has set. Sprinkle over a quarter of the cheese and pop the pan under the grill. Cook for 1-2mins or until the top has set and cheese has melted. Transfer the omelette to a baking tray and keep warm.
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil to the frying pan, add the peppers and sauté for 2 mins. Add the tomatoes and sauté for a further 1 min. Pour in half the remaining egg and and cook for about 3 mins or until the base has set. Sprinkle over a quarter of the cheese and pop the pan under the grill. Cook for 1-2mins or until the top has set and cheese has melted. Transfer the omelette to a baking tray and keep warm.
- Finally stir the herbs into the remaining egg. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, add the herby egg mixture and cook for 2mins. Pop under the grill for a further 1-2mins or until the top of the eggs have set. Remove from the heat.
- Place the pepper and tomato omelette onto a plate, top with the leek omelette and finally top with the herb omelette. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and pop back under the grill for 1-2mins or until the cheese has melted. Serve in wedges with salad if liked.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Chickpea and courgette eggah
A lovely light summer recipe, our chickpea and courgette eggah recipe infuses classic Moroccan herbs and spices for an...
An Indian take on the classic omelette. Made with traditional aromatic ingredients, this fantastic low-calorie main meal is bursting...
Stir-fry Dinner Omelette
Recipe courtesy of Proper Tasty.