Toad in the hole with onion gravy
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 40mins
A classic recipe, which the whole family will love. We have lots more family recipes for you to try.
- 15ml/1tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 premium pork sausages
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 200ml/7floz milk
- For the onion gravy:
- 30ml/2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- pinch of sugar
- 20ml/4tsp plain flour
- 425ml/ 3/4 pt beef stock
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs and a little milk and beat until smooth, gradually beat in the remaining milk to make a smooth batter. Leave to stand for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Fan 200C/425F/Gas Mark 7. Divide the oil, sausages and onions between four shallow ovenproof dishes or 1 large roasting tin and toss to mix. Bake for 5 mins.
- Remove the sausages from the oven, turn them all over, then pour over the batter. Bake for 25-30mins or until the batter has risen and is crisp and golden.
- To make the gravy: heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onions and cook for 5 mins or until golden brown. Add the sugar and cook over a low heat for 2 mins or until caramelised.
- Add the flour to the pan and cook, stirring for 1 min. Gradually add the stock, then bring to the boil and simmer for 1 min. Season to taste and keep warm. Serve the toad in the hole with the onion gravy.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
A great-tasting picnic favourite, our summer quiche recipe is a fantastic dish to share with others on a sunny...
This flamenco eggs recipe has 242 calories per portion
Avocado and chilli huevos rancheros
A fantastic hearty recipe that’s perfect for sharing, this Mexican dish packs together thick tomato sauce, fried eggs, diced...