It’s time to take the war to hunger with this simple boiled eggs and soldiers recipe that’s quick, nutritious and a great way to start your day. There’s nothing quite like cracking the top of your egg and dipping in buttered toast soldiers to take you back to simpler times. The question you need to ask yourself is: How runny do you like it?
- 1 Large British Lion egg
- Pinch of salt
- Buttered toast cut into soldiers to serve (optional)
1. Place the egg in a small pan. Cover with at least 2.5cm (1”) of cold water, add a pinch of salt and place the pan on a high heat. 2. When the water is almost boiling, gently stir the egg and set a kitchen timer for one of the timings below:
- 3 minutes for really soft boiled yolk and set white
- 4 minutes for slightly set yolk and set white
- 5 minutes for firmer yolk and white
- 6 minutes for hard boiled with lightly soft yolk
- 7 minutes for firmly hard boiled
3. Reduce heat slightly to keep water bubbling but not fast boiling and stir the egg once more. 4. Once cooking time is complete, remove the egg from the pan with slotted spoon, place into an egg cup and serve immediately with hot buttered toast soldiers.