Mexican breakfast bowl
If you’re looking for a hearty breakfast for a late weekend morning, then this is the recipe for you. Packed with a whole bunch of textures and flavours, this bowl will power you right through to lunchtime.
This one’s also a nutritional powerhouse that provides protein from the avocados, eggs and beans, as well as vitamins and minerals from the veg. Top it all off with a touch of smoked paprika and some chili flakes for that extra kick and voila – a brilliant breakfast bowl.
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 100g cooked quinoa
- 1/2 tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 baby plum tomatoes, halved
- Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 British Lion eggs
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Sea salt
- In a large serving bowl (to serve 1), toss together the avocado, quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, coriander and spring onion.
- Mix together the lime juice and 1/2 tbsp of the oil and season well then toss through the ingredients in the bowl.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil then turn to a very gentle simmer. Gently lower a cracked egg into the water from a little bowl and cook for 3 minutes until the white has cooked and the yolk is runny.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes, the smoked paprika, extra coriander sprigs and a sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper.