Popeye baked egg
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 11mins
- 1 medium British Lion Quality egg
- 25g baby spinach
- Half tomato, deseeded and diced
- A knob of butter
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 100ml semi-skimmed milk
- 25g Cheddar cheese, grated (other cheese such as Manchego, Gruyère or Red Leicester could be substituted)
- Pre-heat the grill to a medium heat.
- Put the egg in a small saucepan and cover with water, then bring to the boil and boil for 8 minutes before refreshing in cold water. Peel off the shell and slice into 8 pieces. An egg slicer would be good for this.
- Wilt the spinach in a frying pan with 1 tbsp of cold water, then chop.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour, then blend in the milk and stir until smooth and thickened. Add the cheese.
- Put the egg in the base of a ramekin. Pour over half of the sauce. Top with the spinach and tomato and then the remaining sauce.
- Place under the hot grill until bubbling. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Baked eggs with courgettes & tomatoes
212 calories per portion
Avocado egg cups
Add a dash of experimentation to your culinary arsenal with this wonderfully inventive Avocado Egg Cups recipe. Experience the...
MOB Kitchen's Garlic, Tomato and Basil Baked Eggs
Watch the yolk drip, as you dunk crunchy croutons into this deliciously sweet and fresh tomato sauce with runny...
Pesto egg and ham Danish pastry
A quick and easy pastry recipe with eggs and ham