Popeye baked egg
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 11mins
- 1 medium British Lion Quality egg
- 25g baby spinach
- Half tomato, deseeded and diced
- A knob of butter
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 100ml semi-skimmed milk
- 25g Cheddar cheese, grated (other cheese such as Manchego, Gruyère or Red Leicester could be substituted)
- Pre-heat the grill to a medium heat.
- Put the egg in a small saucepan and cover with water, then bring to the boil and boil for 8 minutes before refreshing in cold water. Peel off the shell and slice into 8 pieces. An egg slicer would be good for this.
- Wilt the spinach in a frying pan with 1 tbsp of cold water, then chop.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour, then blend in the milk and stir until smooth and thickened. Add the cheese.
- Put the egg in the base of a ramekin. Pour over half of the sauce. Top with the spinach and tomato and then the remaining sauce.
- Place under the hot grill until bubbling. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
A great-tasting picnic favourite, our summer quiche recipe is a fantastic dish to share with others on a sunny...
This flamenco eggs recipe has 242 calories per portion
Avocado and chilli huevos rancheros
A fantastic hearty recipe that’s perfect for sharing, this Mexican dish packs together thick tomato sauce, fried eggs, diced...