- Serves: 8
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 45mins
There are numerous variations on quiche but this recipe is a real classic. Perfect for a family meal, can be served hot or cold.
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 100g/4oz cold butter
- For the filling:
- 225g/8oz diced smoked bacon or lardons
- 75g/3oz Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 (200ml) tub crème fraîche
- 300ml/1/2pt single cream
- 3 large British Lion eggs
- freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180C°/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Sift the flour into a large bowl with a good pinch of salt. Dice the butter, add to the flour, then rub it in using your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add 45-60ml cold water and use a knife to mix until the pastry mixture forms a ball. Alternatively make the pastry in a food processor; whizz the flour and butter together, then add the water and pulse until a ball forms.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is the thickness of a pound coin, then use to line a 23cm/4cm deep fluted flan tin, pushing it well into the base and sides of the tin.
- Use a fork to lightly prick the pastry, then line it with crumpled baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 mins, removing the paper and beans for the final 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling, sauté the bacon without any extra oil, in a non-stick frying pan until it is lightly coloured. Drain on kitchen paper. Beat the crème fraîche, cream and eggs together in a large jug. Add nutmeg, a little salt and plenty of ground black pepper.
- When the pastry is cooked, scatter the bacon and half the cheese over the pastry base, pour in the cream mixture then scatter over the remaining cheese. Carefully put in the oven, lower the temperature to 190°C/Fan 170°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 then bake for 25 mins or until the filling is set and the top golden. Cool for 10 mins before removing from the tin. Serve warm or cold.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Leftover roast chicken crustless mini quiches
Perfect for a picnic, party or just sharing with the family, our roast chicken crustless mini quiches are a...
Courgette and red onion 'no pastry' quiche
To watch top vlogger Juggle Mum cook this recipe click here .
The whole family will love this classic fish pie recipe.