Baked polenta with eggs & pesto
- 250g quick cook polenta
- 500ml milk
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 30g unsalted butter
- 40g Parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of tenderstem broccoli, blanched in boiling water
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- A dash of white wine vinegar
- 30g pesto
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Bring the milk and stock to the boil in a large pan. Add the polenta, whisking until it starts to bubble. Bubble for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter then season well with salt and pepper.
- Grease an ovenproof disk with a little oil then pour in the cooked polenta.
- Scatter the broccoli on top of the polenta, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the polenta is cooking bring a pan of water to the boil. Add a dash of white wine vinegar and season with salt.
- Crack two eggs into ramekins. Use a whisk to create a whirlpool in the water and turn it down to a simmer. Pour the eggs, one at a time, into the middle of the whirlpool and leave to cook for 3-4 minutes or until the white is set and the yolk is still runny. Remove the eggs from the water then place in a bowl of ice-cold water. Repeat the process with the other two eggs.
- When all the eggs are cooked and polenta is ready, top the polenta with eggs, drizzle with pesto and serve.
Cookware courtesy of www.pyrexuk.com