- Serves: 2
- Prep: 4mins
- Cook: 12mins
Warming and flavoursome, this comfort food is sure to be popular with the family and is suitable for vegetarians.
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) Cheddar, grated
- a dash of vinegar
- 400g can baked beans
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the milk, flour, mustard and butter in a medium pan. Whisk together with a balloon whisk and slowly bring to the boil, whisking until the mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in half the cheese and season to taste. Set aside.
- Fill a large frying pan with salted water, add the vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile put the beans in a pan and gently heat for 2-3 minutes or until piping hot.
- Poach the eggs in the simmering water for 3-5 minutes until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile toast the bread on both sides under a hot grill. Arrange the toast on two heatproof serving plates. Top with the baked beans and place a poached egg on top of each. Spoon over the cheese sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place each plate under the grill and cook for 1 minute until golden.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: