Eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 5mins
A recipe for classic eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise.
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 1 English muffin
- 2 slices of back bacon
- 150g unsalted butter
- 2 large British Lion egg yolks
- 100ml white wine vinegar reduced to 25ml
- Fill a large deep pan with water and a splash of vinegar and bring to a rapid boil.
- Crack each egg into an individual small bowl.
- When the water comes to a boil, add in the eggs one at a time, letting them sink down to the bottom of the pan, they should form a teardrop shape.
- Turn the pan down to a simmer and cook the eggs for three minutes for a runny yolk or five minutes for a harder yolk. Remove each egg with a slotted spoon and drain on a kitchen towel.
- To make the hollandaise, put the butter into a microwaveable container and heat in the microwave until the solids separate from the fat and the butter is clarified, this should take around 1 minute.
- Take the two egg yolks and put them in a round bottomed bowl along with the vinegar reduction and place over a pan of simmering water, whisking the eggs continuously until they begin to become thick and aerated.
- Once the eggs are light, fluffy and stable enough to hold a figure of eight pattern when stirred with a spoon, they will be ready (this is known as ribbon stage).
- Slowly drizzle the clarified butter into the egg yolk mix to emulsify, take care at this stage, if you go too fast the mixture will split.
- To serve, cut the muffin in half and toast each side under the grill.
- Place the bacon on an oven tray and grill to your liking
- Place the bacon on top of the toasted muffin, and the eggs on top of the bacon. Spoon a generous amount of hollandaise over the eggs and return the finished Eggs Benedict, on an ovenproof plate, under the grill to slightly toast the hollandaise. Place the Eggs Benedict on a cool plate and serve.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
A take on the classic full English breakfast
Eggs en cocotte with smoked haddock, leeks and chives
A recipe for eggs en cocotte with smoked haddock, leeks and chives.