Hot cross buns
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 35mins
- Cook: 12mins
Hot cross buns - a classic Easter recipe you can now enjoy at any time.
- 450g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100g caster sugar
- 7g sachet easy blend dried yeast
- 250g dried mixed fruit
- 50g butter
- 250ml milk plus 3 tbsp
- 1 large British Lion egg, beaten
- 50g plain flour
- Sift the flour, salt, spice and 50g of the sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in the yeast and fruit. In a small pan, melt the butter, then add the milk and heat until tepid. Stir into the dry ingredients with the egg and mix to form a soft dough.
- Tip the dough out on a floured work surface and knead for 10 mins until smooth and elastic. Divide into 12 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place a little way apart on an oiled baking sheet. Cover with oiled clear film and leave to prove in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 19C/Fan 170C/Gas Mark 5. To make the crosses, put the plain flour in a small bowl with 6 tbsp cold water; mix to a smooth paste. Spoon into a piping bag and neatly pipe a cross over each of the buns. Bake for 20-25mins or until golden brown.
- When the buns are nearly ready, heat the remaining sugar and milk with 3 tbsp water in a small pan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil for 1 min. Remove the buns from the oven and brush twice with the glaze. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm spread with butter.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: